Hello travelers, and welcome to The Truth About Monsters. We are a Dragon Age: Inquisition forum with a minimum word count of 250 words. We know the outcome of this tragic story, but it's up to you how we get there and what choices are made along the way. So come sit by the fire, rest a while, but beware; here there be monsters.
1 April Happy Easter everyone! To celebrate we have a mini event going called The Grand Tourney. Check it out: Here!
NEED TO KNOW
CANON LIST
WANT ADS
Q & A
MEMBER DIRECTORY
SITE LORE
TUMBLR
SITE CREDITS

Add Reply

Deals With The Devil, Iovita/Planxty
Ophelia Eos
 Posted: Feb 26 2018, 07:51 PM
Ophelia Eos
28 YEARS OLD
She/Her
Mage
SHIPPER
REQUEST
APPLICATION
DEVELOPMENT
Necromancer
Magister
Orchid
She/Her - EST

25th of Justinian, 9:40

The Eos family were more than just Magisters of the Tevinter Imperium. Every family needed a source of income. And the Eos family capitalized on the alcohol trade, specifically wine. They were renowned for it. Quite well known even outside of the Imperium border, the Eos wine went across Thedas. Rivain seemed to really enjoy the hard-hitting wine the most with Orlais and Nevarra vying for the second place in that category of out of country buyers. Tevinter, however, remained the biggest buyer of the wine from the vineyard located in Minrathous. When the title of Magister ended up in the lap of Ophelia, she would need to succeed and increase the family business.

How did she do this? Investors would be the start of that. She also went beyond the wine business, expanding beyond the family vineyard and into a more… lucrative trade. Her father would roll in his grave if he knew of what his darling daughter did to the family name. Some might say she tainted it, others might applaud her bravery and tenacity to get into such a business. What business? Well, the sex trade. Her brothel was high end and located by the docks, bringing in a great deal of coin. Not just from Tevene either, sailors and merchants from across Thedas did trade in Minrathous. And didn’t everybody like a bit of sexual reprieve after time at sea? Ophelia knew that she did!

Not many were privileged enough to be an investor—or a business partner even—for the business she created. The brothel was prime, she decided who might be a good choice at will. The business of sex brought coin no matter what. Her workers were very good at their jobs, bringing in coin and even being treated decently enough to be given some of that coin their skills earned Ophelia.

Today, however, she did not intend to bring someone new into the brothel and its coin. She did have an appointment with someone. She wasn’t sure how this meeting might go but that didn’t mean she’d not dress or behave her best. Ophelia dressed in a pastel pink dress, tight upon her hips and curves but loose once passing her waist. While she might have a similar dress with a set of sleeves, it was a summer month and Ophelia did not wish to sweat to death! The dress, luckily, was light and airy so she could be cool as well as comfortable.

She kept her hair down and slipped on a set of shoes with a slight heel to them. Maker’s breath, did she look all right? The slaves dotting on her agreed. They praised her beauty and fashion sense. She did thank them with warm smiles and kind words. The time had come to meet the potential business partner. She would be meeting this person here at the Eos Manor, she needed to be ready at the drop of a hat! And as a slave of caramel skin entered the grandeur room, it seemed that the hat was indeed being dropped.

They are arriving, Mistress. The man pipped as he opened the double doors to her room. She nodded just once, shifting a piece of hair from her face. “Very well, thank you. You may leave me now.” Ophelia dismissed those around her politely. They gave the customary bow to their master before ducking from her room. She inhaled slowly and calmly, remaining this way for a moment or two. “Let’s do this.” Ophelia rose from the plush chair and made her way down to the foyer where she would intend to greet her guest when they entered.

@Iovita Philus

PM
Iovita Philus
 Posted: Mar 2 2018, 08:32 PM
Iovita Philus
39 YEARS OLD
she/her
Mage
SHIPPER
REQUEST
APPLICATION
DEVELOPMENT
spirit healer
healer
planxty
she/her - est

It hadn’t yet been that long since her husband’s unfortunate demise, but Iovita had already put her enterprising spirit to good work and made a comfortable living off what he left behind. The dirty bastard had plenty of assets, and while she sold off many of them at the first chance she could, she also made a point of waiting until the time was right to get the best price.

Her future was secure for now, but in time there would be no more of her late husband’s land and valuables to pawn off. Iovita began to set her interests toward investing: a little upfront cost that, one hoped, would turn into a steady stream of income down the line. The world of business ventures was an overwhelming one at times, but it was also an exciting one.

Getting her fingers into the wine industry seemed like a wise choice. There would never be any shortage of wealthy people looking to enjoy a fine vintage and a better buzz. Iovita had also sampled some of the Eos wine herself and quite enjoyed it: an essential detail, she wouldn’t feel right investing in a product she didn’t like. Rumor also had it that the Eos name was also tied to a successful brothel. Iovita felt conflicted by that but still conceded that it was another solid business choice. In Seheron she had treated enough soldiers with venereal disease to know that sex sells even better than alcohol.

Iovita made no attempts to display her wealth: she wore no gems or baubles, and her yellow linen gown was unadorned. When she first entered the foyer, she wore a pleasant but neutral expression and stood with straight posture, but as she waited, her face showed her agitation, and her shoulders slumped. The standing and waiting was difficult for her: maintaining her balance took considerable effort, and soon her weak side began to ache.

As soon as she saw her hostess, however,Iovita forced herself to stand tall and put a slight smile on her face. She didn’t care for false pleasantries, but she saw the value in being friendly.

”Magister Eos,” she said with a polite bow of her head. ”It’s a pleasure to be welcomed into your home.”

----- Mage Speak Think Colour @Ophelia Eos

PM
Ophelia Eos
 Posted: Mar 8 2018, 11:14 AM
Ophelia Eos
28 YEARS OLD
She/Her
Mage
SHIPPER
REQUEST
APPLICATION
DEVELOPMENT
Necromancer
Magister
Orchid
She/Her - EST

Business was good for the Eos family, Ophelia capitalized on the two most important businesses in Thedas. Sex and alcohol. Her father likely rolled in his grave knowing that she’d opened an incredibly successful brothel, her two businesses tied together however. She served her family’s wine—among other drinks, mind you—and made coin on top of coin with that business maneuver. Not be to conceded or cocky but Ophelia knew that partnering with her was wise. After all, wasn’t it always about coin and wise investments?

She descended the winding stairs with hints of a smile. To her delight, her guest had arrived. To her horror, it seemed the slave had been wrong. They’d arrived a touch sooner. Her brow furrowed ever so slightly before returning to it’s default state. Ophelia smiled far more widely as her guest and future business partner offered a greeting. She was still descending when she answered Iovita. “It is my pleasure, my lady Iovita. I am sorry for any wait you may have had. I was just informed of your arrival.” The slave would potentially be punished, depending on how this interaction went with the other woman.

Her guest did not dress extravagantly. An odd choice all things considered but she didn’t pay it much mind. Sometimes the simpler things spoke far more than the expensive. It would be an adventure finding out just who Iovita was! “Would you like a drink? Water, wine, whatever you please.” She wanted to ensure her future partner was content. “We can have our meeting outside or inside, I do not know what you may prefer.”

Ophelia had a room specifically meant for meetings, often used with partners and fellow Magisters. It would be where she’d lead Iovita if she picked the option of inside. Outside was gorgeous with a view of the vineyard, the weather today was permitting an outside affair.

“I trust your travel here was safe and quick.”

PM
Iovita Philus
 Posted: Mar 9 2018, 08:13 PM
Iovita Philus
39 YEARS OLD
she/her
Mage
SHIPPER
REQUEST
APPLICATION
DEVELOPMENT
spirit healer
healer
planxty
she/her - est

“It’s quite alright. I wasn’t waiting long at all.” A little white lie told for the sake of manners. In truth, Iovita couldn’t guess how long she was waiting in the foyer; her sense of time was not accurate., and feeling the aches and twinges coming on make the seconds pass all the slower. She held no grudge toward Ophelia or any of her household slaves, however. The problem was hers and hers alone. “But I have to admit, I’m not a terribly patient person.” That much was completely true, though

“It was a safe and uneventful journey,” she answered, “But it was also quite a bit longer than I expected.” Maybe that explained why she felt especially impatient today. “At any rate, it’s behind me now: I’m here and ready to get right to discussing business. It’s a lovely day, let’s talk outside.” All the better to get a look at the grounds, something she’d need to do if she was going to make an investment. “And I should like a glass of wine. I’ve tasted some of your vineyard’s products before, but I think drinking it here where the grapes were grown would make it all the more special.” The smile on her face finally reached her eyes, and some of the tension in her posture eased. “And after I day of travelling, I think I need something stronger than water to put me back in a pleasant mood.” Or maybe not. Iovita could already feel her spirits lifting, but she still wanted the wine.

----- Mage Speak Think Colour

@Ophelia Eos

PM
Ophelia Eos
 Posted: Mar 10 2018, 01:06 PM
Ophelia Eos
28 YEARS OLD
She/Her
Mage
SHIPPER
REQUEST
APPLICATION
DEVELOPMENT
Necromancer
Magister
Orchid
She/Her - EST

At least Iovita remained honest as she explained she had relatively no patience. The Magister gave a nodding of her head with a little bit of laughter. “I think most of us are not, Iovita. Have you ever seen a Magister needing to wait?” Ophelia had absolutely no problem speaking of her fellow Magisters in this way. Her patience existed though it was very thin and frail, too much could break it. The result was not appealing as one could imagine. “I am relieved that you were not kept waiting too long.”

Outside, thank the Maker! It was lovely outside and she couldn’t blame her guest for picking it. She nodded in understanding, her polite smile forming into one much more genuine. She would gesture for Iovita to follow, keeping the same pace as her guest as to not appear rude herself. The walk wouldn’t be more than just a handful of minutes. A set of stained glass double doors was all that separated the two women from the vineyard outside. No slave rushed to open the doors for her, rather Ophelia delicately turned the silver handles and opened it. She didn’t need a slave for everything!

“Damian, darling, could you fetch us a bottle of wine and two glasses?” She spoke to a tall and lean man standing in earshot. “Would you like anything to eat, my lady? If so, please do not hesitate to ask. You are my guest and I will see you treated like it.” Business guest or not, Ophelia had impressions to make. Not just that but Carissa—the previous Magister Eos—would never allow her daughter to have such poor manners when it came to a guest in her halls. Especially if that guest might be an investor or a potential ally.

Once that was addressed, she walked through the newly opened doors and onto the veranda. Two slaves stepped forward to pull the only two chairs that sat at a beautiful marble table. They were covered from most of the suns rays but were still granted the lovely warmth the sun provided along with the gentle breeze. The spot gave a decent view of the vineyard, it stretched quite a bit outward before a stone wall infused with magic could be seen.

PM
Iovita Philus
 Posted: Mar 12 2018, 05:51 PM
Iovita Philus
39 YEARS OLD
she/her
Mage
SHIPPER
REQUEST
APPLICATION
DEVELOPMENT
spirit healer
healer
planxty
she/her - est

What a relief it was to be outside enjoying the warmth and the sunshine. Iovita indulged for just a moment: closing her eyes and taking a deep, calming breath. As she walked alongside Ophellia, she realized the full extent to which the long travel and waiting around on her feet affected her. Some joints were stiff and sore, others felt wobbly, and it was an even greater relief to sit down. Iovita let herself sick back in her seat, choosing comfort over decorum just this once.

“Just a bit of fruit,” she said to answer the offer of food. Ioivta wasn’t particularly hungry right now, but she did want something to go with her wine. “Anything you have will do just fine.” She pulled her attention away from her hostess for just a moment so give a kind smile to each slave. She didn’t know enough about Ophelia to guess what sort of mistress she might be, but in her Experience, Iovita found that most slaves could just every bit of kindness she could spare. Pity she couldn’t free them all on her own.

She sat in silence and looked out at the grounds, taking in her surroundings. Iovita didn’t know much about growing grapes or producing wine, but from looks alone the vineyard met her standard: plenty of spacious land filled with vines loaded with plump grapes. “You’re vineyard is lovely,” she commented. “I’d like to get right to business. I’m here because I would like to make an investment, and I’d like to see if this investment would be worth my while.”

@Ophelia Eos

PM
Ophelia Eos
 Posted: Mar 13 2018, 11:23 AM
Ophelia Eos
28 YEARS OLD
She/Her
Mage
SHIPPER
REQUEST
APPLICATION
DEVELOPMENT
Necromancer
Magister
Orchid
She/Her - EST

Fruit seemed a sensible choice. If she’d been asked for a recommendation, she’d pick the stereotypical cheese and crackers, but fruit was a lovely choice. Especially considering the weather, fresh fruit would be a wonderful choice. “Thank you, loves. Could you bring out some of the grapes we use for our wine? I’d like for her to taste them as well.” The slaves bowed and acknowledged the request of their mistress and the guest. They stood upright only to depart the duo, leaving them alone. Ophelia never tired of the view they shared. It was a beautiful sight, something to truly behold… The view from her room was even more enchanting but being eye-level with her vineyard had its own perks.

She held no surprise as her potential business partner wished to delve straight into the thick of things. Why travel for so long just to drag on pleasantries? Ophelia respected it. Iovita was far from the first person she’d entertained on this matter, she would likely not be the last either. “I respect your bluntness,” The Magister said quite seriously as she regarded her guest. “My family has been in this business for Ages and generations. I’ve made modifications to our recipe and we’ve been far better off for it. I’ve seen an increase in product sales roughly twice of what my mother pulled in prior to her retirement.” The Eos family was known for their wine even outside of Tevinter. That’s why Ophelia occasionally traveled on her family’s ships to deliver the wine. That’s also how Ophelia met the most obnoxious man to breathe. “We are seeing an increase in demand from Rivain and a Duke from Orlais has expressed interest through a Riviani contact of mine that he wished to buy a crate.”

Yes, she was boasting a bit but she was being relatively honest. The slaves returned quickly with a variety of fruit, including the requests grapes from the vineyard, and wine itself. A young woman stayed behind to pour the two crystalline glasses with deep red wine. She left the bottle on the table and stepped back, however she stayed outside to continue to serve them. “I will be happy to show you whatever you need to satisfy any curiosity or need.”

PM
Iovita Philus
 Posted: Mar 13 2018, 08:08 PM
Iovita Philus
39 YEARS OLD
she/her
Mage
SHIPPER
REQUEST
APPLICATION
DEVELOPMENT
spirit healer
healer
planxty
she/her - est

Fresh grapes paired with the wine grown from the same vines? Now that would make for an interesting pairing, one that Iovita had never had before, and one she was eager to try. She tried her best to give her hostess her full attention as she talked of her success selling wine abroad, and though she smiled and nodded at all the right times and absorbed all the right information, part of her was preoccupied thinking of the food and drink that was on its way. Maybe she was hungrier than she thought.

Iovita didn’t respond immediately. She lifted one crystal glass and took a dainty sip--just as good as she remembered, but drinking on the grounds where it was grown, fermented and aged did feel a little more special--and also tasted one grape--sweeter than she expected. Before she spoke, she adjusted herself in her seat and straightened her posture. “I had no idea your vineyard had so much success abroad, that definitely makes me all the more interested in investing. And an Orleasian duke? That’s impressive. I was under the impression that the Orleasians thought everything from our country was cursed.” Iovita leaned back again and had another sip of wine. “Of course, if he only bought one crate, who’s to say it was anything more than a passing curiosity?” The expression on her face turned into a playful smirk. Iovita had met few Orleasians, and they all had ridiculous preconceptions about Tevinter. It was fair, though. Iovita could concede that her ideas about Orlais might be ridiculous too.

@Ophelia Eos

PM
Ophelia Eos
 Posted: Mar 20 2018, 09:48 AM
Ophelia Eos
28 YEARS OLD
She/Her
Mage
SHIPPER
REQUEST
APPLICATION
DEVELOPMENT
Necromancer
Magister
Orchid
She/Her - EST

Every movement her guest made had been noted. Even the rate of her breathing. Ophelia needed to take guesses and be astute if she wished to know what her potential investor might be thinking. Of course, it wasn’t an exact science, but it tended to yield a clue or two. In this case, it did very little. Would it not be best for Iovita to taste what she was aiming to invest in? She was not simply investing in a rather lovely wine but in an entire vineyard. Not every grape became wine. When her guest took her first grape, Ophelia felt a sense of pride swell in her. She may not be her brother when it comes to being an entrepreneur but she did her damnedest.

“Orlesians seldom make sense, I’m afraid.” Ugh, where was the lie? “They will outcast and claim hatred for anything that strengthens their stance in their little Empire. Yet they don’t stick to those claims when eyes are turned. The very same could be said for some of our people as well. Snakes. Vipers dressed in rather intricate clothes.” Orlesians and Tevene were not too far apart in some aspects. In this aspect they seemingly mirrored one another.

Rivain loved wine and all things alcoholic. They were not a drunk people, not at all! They just loved an occasion to drink. She once or twice found herself selling crates of wine to Qunari. If they were not attacking her or in Seheron, Ophelia could tolerate them like one tolerated a toddler in the midst of a tantrum. “Whether it is passing curiosity or something more remains to be seen. All in good time, I hope. Until then, I have Rivain and a few ships of my own. No need to hire another to deal with the shipments. I often travel with them.” She intentionally neglected the raider issue. Not to be rude or blindside Iovita. It had happened once and not since. Clearly the dog of the sea learned his lesson!

“The view is fabulous.” Ophelia breathed out quietly, her fingers touching the glass but not bringing to her lips. Perhaps she’d been neglecting herself in the last few months… Being outside without worrying of a knife in her back or poison in her wine, it felt as if the world had been lifted from her shoulders.

PM
Iovita Philus
 Posted: Mar 24 2018, 08:53 PM
Iovita Philus
39 YEARS OLD
she/her
Mage
SHIPPER
REQUEST
APPLICATION
DEVELOPMENT
spirit healer
healer
planxty
she/her - est

Iovita nodded attentively as she listened, occasionally punctuating  each thought with another sip of wine.  Only half over focus was on what her hostess said, and with the other half Iovita analyzed her hostess’s words and thought one step ahead.  Any trade abroad was promising, and even if the Orlesian duke showed no further interest, the Rivaini prospects seemed far more reliable.

Some of the words Ophelia spoke, however, stuck out in her mind and threatened to take her attention away from the present moment: Vipers dressed in rather intricate clothes.”  Iovita tried her best not to judge Orlesians too harshly, for she had known so few of them, but that was a prefect description of the Tevene elite if ever she heard one: particularly her father and her second husband.  Those two men who hurt her and took advantage of her just to make themselves look better...there were some who might say the same about her, if they cared for her late husband and if they believed the rumors about his death.  Iovita didn’t give a damn about them, and she tried to chase those thoughts from her mind.  There was important business to be done, and it required her full attention.

”A lovely view,” she agreed with a nod, bringing herself back to the task at hand.  ”So much land must be worth a fortune.  Remind me how long it’s been in the family?

@Ophelia Eos

PM
Ophelia Eos
 Posted: Apr 5 2018, 10:01 AM
Ophelia Eos
28 YEARS OLD
She/Her
Mage
SHIPPER
REQUEST
APPLICATION
DEVELOPMENT
Necromancer
Magister
Orchid
She/Her - EST

There were many things to speak of. Yet she had not been prepared for the casual question of ownership. Her guest inquired of how long the Eos family did this, how long they called themselves winemakers. Why did she not anticipate that? For a moment after the question, Ophelia remained quiet as her brain kicked into gear. These were facts and she needed to answer instead of looking like some sort of slack-jawed fool. Some may think her just that and she’d give them no validation in any form!

“Quite a few generations, if my mother is to be believed.” She laughed warmly, no doubt feeling the gaze of her mother from afar. That woman had a knack for knowing when she was being talked about… In fact, she may be rushing home this very moment to scold her only daughter. “Jesting aside, this makes the second Age my family has done this successfully. Supposedly my ancestors had issues attempting to start but ultimately succeeded.”

The vineyard would be there long after Ophelia passed, likely even after her own unborn children passed as well. The Eos family were famed for their wine. Was it strange for her to hope future generations did not soil her brothel? Vineyards could be regrown, but a brothel carries a certain reputation. One that is far more delicate than the grape Ophelia rolled between her fingers.

Iovita had a swirl of rumors following her like shadows following the sun’s light. She dared not dwell or poke on them but curiosity did bubble inside the Magister. “My older brother plays a stronger hand in the vineyard growing than I do, if I am to be truthful. He has quite the green thumb.”

PM
Iovita Philus
 Posted: Apr 11 2018, 03:04 PM
Iovita Philus
39 YEARS OLD
she/her
Mage
SHIPPER
REQUEST
APPLICATION
DEVELOPMENT
spirit healer
healer
planxty
she/her - est

Iovita nodded as she listened. The Eos vineyard was a well known one, but she was not aware that it had thrived for so long. She wasn’t even entirely sure what her own family had been doing further back that her grandparents’ generation. Probably enjoying their old wealth and glory that her father was so fond of talking about, nothing she gave a damn about, to be sure.

With this vineyard having seen so many generations of success and still going strong, Iovita already began to feel as though she would be a fool to let this opportunity pass her by, but she still wanted to see more with her own eyes before making her final decision. She ate another grape and had one more sip of wine before she inched forward in her seat.

“As much I would love to sit her in the sun, talk, and drink wine all day, I am here to do business. I would like to walk the grounds a bit and to see the cellars.” She had another sip of wine and was now nearing the end of her glass...a little faster than she planned, but she did need that drink. Truth be told, she still felt weary from the journey, but the past few restful minutes of sitting, eating, and drinking had done her some good. She would probably be fine to get back on her feet if she took it slow and went easy on the wine. ----- Mage Speak Think Colour

@Ophelia Eos

PM
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic Options
Add Reply

SKINNED BY Vanessa of SHINE and CAUTION

RP Lovers Shadowplay Topsites Unbound Topsites - A Video Game RP Listing Top RP Sites Top RP Sites

RPG-D RPG Initiative Avalon a Panfandom RP Sufficient Unto the Day face in the crowd UNTIL DAYLIGHT: POST-APOC, TLOU BASED Rise of the Believers Break the Wheel: a Season 8 GOT AU

SITE DISCORD